(973) 284-1083    info@espositoinsurance.com

Does Your Insurance Policy Cover Your Children at College?

Q: What if my son or daughter is away at school?  Are they covered under my home insurance policy, or do they need to get their own?

Generally, if a child who is a resident of their parents’ house rents the apartment directly and relocates, he or she needs his own policy. If he or she stays with his permanent residence at the parents’ home, there is coverage under their home insurance (10% of the parent’s contents amount, and liability).  It is always best to check with your homeowner’s insurance agent, can vary depending on the company, and in some cases the apartment needs to be added as an additional location to ensure liability coverage.


Leave a Comment