Preventing Damage From Frozen Pipes
During winter months, the water pipes in a house are at risk of freezing. Frozen pipes can burst and can cause substantial damage to your home. Here are some simple tips to prevent the frozen pipes.
- Keep your thermostat set to the same consistent temperature throughout the day and night.
- If you are going to be out of the house for an extended period keep the temperature in your home to at least 65ºF.
- Keep cabinets in your kitchen and bathroom open to allow warm air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to secure any cleaners or chemicals that might be harmful to children or pets.
- Let cold water trickle from your faucets continuously to help prevent freezing.
- If you have water pipes in your garage, keep the garage doors closed to keep the temperature above freezing