The state of New Jersey has recently enacted a new set of regulations May 1, 2010. Teenagers 16-20 years of age who have a permit or probationary driver’s license face a host of new restrictions:
– They may only drive between 5:01 AM and 11:00 PM
– They may only transport one passenger besides her or his dependents. This restriction is relaxed if a parent or guardian is in the vehicle.
– Cell phones, digital music devices such as iPods, and other wireless devices are prohibited. Built in GPS systems, and music players connected to the vehicle’s sound system are exempted.
– They are responsible to ensure that all vehicle occupants are wearing seat belts or using child safety seats.
– They must display a decal on their rear license plate
– No moving violations may be plea bargained to “Unsafe Operation of a Motor Vehicle.”